Ads by Google

Friday, December 28, 2012

PowerPivot in Excel 2010

PowerPivot might be the most powerful BI tool introduced by Microsoft in recent times. I am still exploring this application. I have installed this as an Excel addin. (You can download it freely from www.powerpivot.com) But what I like about this tool is the "No restriction" in the number of rows. This makes our job easy in terms of housing the data. Earlier I used to store my data in MS Access and retrieve the required data by querying it through VBA. But now it seems I dont have to worry about the programming. Just drag and drop few things and few clicks and my job is made easy. So far this is what I have understood:

  • Store millions of rows in PowerPivot
  • Data can be pulled literally from any database/datasource like Oracle, DB2, Teradata, SQL, MS Access and even from Txt files and data mart like Azure.
  • Create and manage relationships between these irrelative data sets. 
  • You avoid writing Lookup functions after creating relationships which is 100x faster.
  • PowerPivot uses Data Analysis Expression (DAX) functions similarly like Excel functions.
I will continue to use this tool in my future projects and will keep sharing my knowledge about the excellent tool. :)

No comments: